The good news just keeps coming

JERRY RICHARDSON TO DONATE INDOOR STADIUM—

Special days in the history of the college seem to be a defining theme of this semester. And that makes this semester an incredible time to be at Wofford. On the heels of the announcement of the Rosalind S. Richardson Center for the Arts and plans for a new Greek Village comes the announcement of the Jerry Richardson Indoor Stadium, a new facility that will house a basketball and volleyball arena, locker rooms and other spaces for coaches and training.

During the announcement event, President Nayef Samhat noted the momentous contribution and said that the Wofford community is currently “witness to an extraordinary act of generosity that will transform this campus and the student experience.”

The new sports facility, along with the Center for the Arts and the new Greek Village, are all recommendations outlined in the strategic vision approved by the Wofford Board of Trustees on Oct. 21, 2014. The Center for the Arts accompanied the initial announcement of the vision, and the subsequent announcements of the Greek Village and the Jerry Richardson Indoor Stadium display the strong commitment by the administration and donors to the execution of the vision.

Jerry Richardson, Wofford class of 1959, former NFL football player, successful businessman and current founder and owner of the Carolina Panthers, offers an excellent example of the “life lesson of splendid service,” says Chairman of the Board of Trustees and 1970 graduate Harold Chandler in remarks during the announcement.

Richardson, who credits the influence Wofford has had on him as an integral part of his success, is paying that success and experience forward, giving the next generation of Jerry Richardsons an element with which they can enhance their own potential. Richardson’s commitment on and off the field as a student-athlete and leader at Wofford, and later as an outstanding business leader in the Carolinas, provides a living testament to the potential Wofford gives its students during their time here.The new indoor stadium isn’t only a testament to the generosity of the Richardsons, but also “demonstrates a confidence and appreciation in our coaches,” says Chandler. “You are teachers, and you will use this tool effectively in your exemplary service to others.”The performance of the basketball team in its defeat over Iona is hopefully an indicator of the great performances to come in the new Jerry Richardson Indoor Stadium, which is slated for opening in September 2017. Along with a 3,400-seat basketball arena and a 500-seat volleyball arena, the indoor stadium will also include home and visitor locker rooms, a training room, offices, team meeting rooms, as well as seating capacity for non-athletic events, located at the north end of Gibbs Stadium.

The term “generous” no longer seems adequate to describe the contributions made by Jerry Richardson and his family to Wofford during this exciting time. The only problem with Richardson’s beyond generous gifting is now, when students say, “I’m heading to Richardson,” they’re going to have to be a little more specific about which Richardson building they’re referring.

Read more about the new stadium here: wofford.edu/newsroom/2014/Wofford-College-announces-Jerry-Richardson-Indoor-Stadium/

— Leah Hunter

$0
$500