Ms. Patel: a campus comfort

Delia Patel delivering a package to a student. Patel, Wofford’s Postal Manger for the last 26 years, is well-known for her kindness, hard work and personability. Photo by Anna Lee Hoffman.

Ask any Wofford student about Delia Patel, Wofford’s Postal Manager, and you are sure to get a glowing grin.

Patel has been the Postal Manager at Wofford since 1996. Twenty-six years later, she describes that she cannot imagine ever retiring.

“I enjoy my job. I love meeting new students and interacting with them,” Patel said.

Patel is widely known for her greetings, attention to students, organization, candy bowl and memory. Not many would be up to the responsibility of tracking 1,770 students’ Amazon packages, staff ’s mail and athletic’s supplies, but Patel does so gracefully and efficiently.

She and her family moved from Nairobi, Kenya in 1995, spent a brief three-month period in New Jersey and have called Spartanburg, South Carolina home ever since. Patel has loved calling Spartanburg and the Wofford campus home.

Patel’s daughter, a 2009 graduate of Wofford, is living in North Carolina and working as a dental hygienist. Her son, a 2013 graduate of Wofford, is also living in North Carolina and working as a Senior Associate at a Private Equity Firm.

Patel jokes that she was here before her kids were.

She lovingly recounts how her children would often accompany her to the mailroom during the summer and take naps on the shelves, hidden beneath the packages.

Both of her children come back to Wofford for Homecoming Weekend, sporting events and visits to see their mother.

Patel describes that she loves that her Wofford family extends beyond her just her beloved students, but now to her beloved children.

Margaret Chandler ‘24 describes herself as a frequent online shopper.

“I probably order as many as five packages per week,” Chandler said. “I have even been to the mailroom two times already today. Mrs. Patel knows me and my HD number very well.”

Patel sees any opportunity with a student as a time to form a connection. Chandler describes that her times with Patel are some of her favorite parts of her day, and not just because she gets a package.

Eliza Williams ‘23 often goes and visits Patel in the mailroom just to chat. She describes Patel as an inviting, friendly and funny staple to our campus.

In particular, Williams recounts a time where she was standing outside near the mailroom waiting to give a campus tour.

Patel came up to Williams and compassionately asked if she was too hot, thirsty, lost and, most of all, happy.

Williams said that she was shocked by Patel’s genuine concern and willingness to go the extra mile to ensure that every student is okay.

Wofford is riddled with wonderful students, faculty and staff, and Patel is exceptionally dedicated. Her 26 years of service and hard work has indubitably left a mark.

$0
$500