Ripe for the picking

For upcoming information on activities at the Goodall Center for Environmental Studies, continue to check the Wofford Daily Announcements, and feel free to contact the writer at [email protected].

By Garrett Heath, Staff Writer

A twenty-minute drive from campus brings students to an area a world away from Wofford College.  Decrepit mill towers stand among trails and streams at the Goodall Environmental Studies Center, located in Glendale, S.C.  Here, students are free to wander and relax, study and exercise anytime between dawn and dusk.

John Lane — professor of environmental studies and a critical catalyst for the creation of the Goodall Center — spends many afternoons on the property.

“Glendale is wild — wild, trees, wildlife,” states Lane.  “It’s where Wofford students can go if they want to leave behind the manicured elegance of the main campus to get outside”.

The center itself is Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design certified.  The certification means that the building has followed a series of restriction and rules that determine it is a “green” building.

The center offers classrooms settings for Wofford’s use, especially for courses pertinent to studying the systems of the natural world.

The Goodall Center features operational labs as well as space for lectures and community events.  Last spring, the area held Appalachian Soul festival, which featured  dancers, musicians and lectures who upheld the spirit of Appalachia.

Whether it’s reading in a hammock for an English course or researching for a Biology course, Glendale gives students a blank slate to draw their own creative or academic interpretations.  Looking over the Lawson’s Fork of the Pacolet River, the center offers hands-on opportunities for students any time of the year.

Karen Gavely — a senior who served as the Glendale Outreach intern last year — remains enthused by the area.

“The Glendale Shoals area is inspiring to me because it is a wonderful example of how combined efforts can turn around environmental degradation.” Gravely says. “Wofford spreads environmental awareness and conservation effort in an area that once suffered many negative human impacts from the mill.”

For Gravely, interning for the Glendale Outreach has shown her the community bonding that can happen at Glendale.

“As an intern, I have experienced the community building that takes place there as well from seeing kids bind at Halloween parties to seeing Wofford students find commonalities with town members when they listen to Appalachian story tellers,” says Gravely. “Working for environmental outreach has shown me that nature can always bring people together and inspire them to play an important part in their school or community.”

Lane reminds students that Glendale has something to offer for everyone.

“The garden- is open to all, and right now the muscadines are ripe,” he says. “Eat a handful — unless you are afraid of seeds.”

$0
$500