Old Gold and Black turns 100

WOFFORD’S ONLY ON-CAMPUS NEWSPAPER REFLECTS ON HOW FAR WE’VE COME AND WHERE WE’RE GOING NEXT —— 

The calendar on your wall reads February 10, 1915. This year, World War I consumes daily conversation. Sigmund Freud delivers his Introductory Lectures on Psychoanalysis at the University of Vienna. T.S. Eliot publishes The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock and Other Poems. Red Sox Legend Babe Ruth debuts as a pitcher. The United States House of Representatives rejects the proposal to give women suffrage. The first transcontinental telephone call is made. And today, senior Wofford student C.E. King publishes the first issue of the Old Gold and Black as the editor in chief.

50 years later, for the 50th year anniversary issue, staff writer Dave Carter reflects on the initial controversial debate over deciding the name of the publication. He writes that while some students and faculty preferred The Terrier, others preferred the Old Gold and Black. Ultimately, President of the College Dr. Henry Nelson Snyder chose Old Gold and Black because “‘there was more sentiment to it,’” quotes Carter.

With now 100 years of sentimental value, the Old Gold and Black has covered a range of issues, both historic and small. From discussing the Methodist Church’s ban on football, to how distracting the invention of the television is when it comes to studying; from reporting on the Civil Rights movement, to advising on how to cope with a messy roommate, OG&B writers have always had the same goal: to be a source of accurate, interesting and relevant news at Wofford. This year, we will celebrate this profound milestone of valuable and continued student journalism by publishing photos and stories from the archives each issue.

In the first issue’s salutatory, published next to an article about Wofford’s basketball team’s recent win and the baseball team’s schedule, King writes: “To become a thorough success…our alumni must be brought in closer contact with college interests, in order that they can work hand in hand with us. To do this most effectively, every old Wofford man should subscribe, if possible, to the Old Gold and Black.”

Little did King know then that one day the Internet would be born, and we would have the power to share our news with alumni, parents, faculty, students and staff with the click of a button. For 100 years, the editors and writers of the Old Gold and Black have strived to uphold these values listed by King, and now, we aim to think progressively about how we can continue to accomplish his original mission. As this year’s editor in chief of the Old Gold and Black, I am proud to announce that we are taking progressive strides toward the future of this publication by going online. Starting with this issue, the Old Gold and Black will now be published online at woffordoldgoldandblack.com in addition to its usual bi-weekly print circulation.

Now, the calendar on your wall reads September 16, 2014. This year, Barack Obama is the President of the United States. Germany wins the World Cup. Statistics on the most severe Ebola virus outbreak to date in West Africa flood your Twitter feed. A Malaysian airplane goes missing with 200 people on board. Forbes declares Beyoncé the most powerful celebrity. Facebook has 1,310,000,000 monthly active users. And today, the Old Gold and Black looks toward the future, celebrating a milestone and remaining a staple of the Wofford College community 36,378 days after its first publication.

Continue to read and share, and know that we’ll do our best to continue to represent you, the student body, as King promised he would 100 years ago.

C.E. King, center bottom, was the first Editor in Chief of the Old Gold and Black 100 years ago.

$0
$500