All the Fall Things

I love playing with the fallen leaves because it reminds me of when I was younger and also it’s a great way to acknowledge and appreciate the nature that surrounds us,” says Julie Woodson, ’18.
“I love playing with the fallen leaves because it reminds me of when I was younger and also it’s a great way to acknowledge and appreciate the nature that surrounds us,” says Julie Woodson, ’18.
By Kelsey Aylor, Staff Writer

If you’re anything like me, as soon as you see the first leaf fall from a tree, you become inexplicably excited at the oncoming colder weather because it means none other than the best season of the year – fall. I adore all things about fall, whether it be the warmer clothes, the yummy cider and coffee or the fun activities to do. However, being an out-of-state student, I had no idea how I could celebrate my love for fall in a completely different environment. If anyone else feels the same way, fear not, because below you will find the (almost) complete guide to “All the Fall Things” as well as a rockin’ theme song for whichever adventure you choose to partake in.

Changing of the Seasons – Two Door Cinema Club // Take Me Out – Golden State

To begin our journey, we start with two songs. The first simply states the inevitable and wonderful truth – it is the changing of the seasons and we should welcome it with open arms. The second song, “Take Me Out,” is an anthem that should be applied as often as possible. Whatever you’re doing, have fun doing it!

Today – Willamette Stone (Smashing Pumpkins cover)

One of the best things about the fall season is the rise of the pumpkin. To enjoy a great time, head out to Stewart Farms’ pumpkin patch at 6600 SC Highway 92, Enoree, S.C. 29335, which is about a 35 minute drive. An option that is closer to  campus is at Hughey Farms at 9295 Asheville Highway, Spartanburg.

Coffee – Sylvan Esso // Let It Go – James Bay

Fall can also be a time of reflection and relaxation. And what better way to do it than over a cup of warm apple cider or coffee? Go to local cafés such as The Coffee Bar or Brown Roof Thrift in Spartanburg or go further to cozy places such as Due South Coffee or Tandem Coffee Roasters in Greenville.

Old Pine – Ben Howard

The end of fall also hints at another childhood favorite of mine. Every year my family and I would go to the local tree farm and pick out and chop down our Christmas tree. Go to Elves Christmas Tree Farm near Greenville (217 Berea Heights Road, Greenville). The drive is about 40 minutes, and the farm opens up Nov. 20.

Kickin’ da Leaves – Judah & the Lion

Maybe you don’t have transportation to go off campus and that’s totally fine. With Wofford’s arboretum status, there will be a plethora of fallen leaves on the ground. Relive your childhood memories by building a leaf fort – just make sure you’re quick about it and get to the leaves before landscaping does.

Drive – Oh Wonder // Drive – Well Pennies

Fall is a season of change. One of the most prominent ways you can see this is through the changing colors of the leaves. If you can, drive through the Blue Ridge Parkway. The best way to access the parkway would be to head toward Asheville via I-26. Then take exit 37 and follow signs for the parkway entrance.

Thrift Shop – Macklemore // Sweater Weather – The Neighbourhood

In order to hunker down for the colder weather, I highly recommend looking at thrift stores for flannels and sweaters – they are a more inexpensive option for cozier clothing. See Senior Writer Sarah Madden’s previous article about thrifting here!

Take a Walk – Passion Pit // Walking Stick – The Painted Pianos

Another way to enjoy the fall weather and beauty is to go hiking. Nearby is Croft State Park at 50 Croft State Park Road, Spartanburg, S.C. or, if you’re feeling adventurous, Chimney Rock State Park, which is about an hour and 15 minutes north of Wofford

Peaches – In the Valley Below // Home – Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros

Besides pumpkins, fall features the rise of apples. Many different local farms allow people to come on-site and go apple picking. Try out Nivens Apple Farm at 130 Orchard Drive, Moore, S.C, which also features a pumpkin patch, hay rides and a corn maze. It is a 25 minute drive from Wofford. You can also head out to Sky Top at 3403 Greenville Highway, Flat Rock, N.C., about 50 minutes from campus. Sky Top also sells delicious apple donuts and has a petting zoo and a bamboo forest.

Campfire – Satellite Stories

It is completely free to book the Pavilion and use its fireplace. I highly recommend hanging out with friends, roasting some s’mores – bring a guitar along and it will be a fun gathering. Contact both John Blair ([email protected]) to reserve the Pavilion and Campus Safety (864-597-4350) following use of the fireplace.

Monster – Kanye West & Jay-Z

Fall also means Halloween. If you are interested in getting scared out of your wits, you can head to the Wompus Woods Haunted Trail at 231 Parris Road, Cowpens, S.C. 29330 or to Nightmare Hollow at 3411 Reidville Road, Spartanburg, 29301.

Scarecrow – Alex & Sierra

Despite spending hours wandering around completely lost, I have always enjoyed corn mazes. It is definitely a team building exercise if you go with a group of friends, and you will probably learn more about them then you would have ever wanted whilst trying to navigate the maze. Visit Denver Downs Farm at 1515 Denver Road, Anderson, S.C. which is about an hour away and is one of the largest corn mazes in the southeast.

For access to the Spotify playlist, go to: https://play.spotify.com/user/kelseyaylor/playlist/7vjmR9HighqviDRo6Pjzpw

$0
$500