Meet WoCo Radio’s first ever freshman class

Meet WoCo Radios first ever freshman class

By: Steele Smith, Contributing Writer

Six voices, three shows, seven hours of content and endless possibilities— those are the words that define the freshman class of WoCo Radio (Wofford College’s very own student-run radio station), a group of individuals of which I am very proud to be a member.

On Oct. 22, I had the opportunity to sit down with the freshman hosts of Wednesday Variety Pack, Feenix Smith and Payne Robertson, hosts of the WoCo Radio Mixtape, Noah Deleon and Jay Rivera, and my cohost on Terrier Boost, Jackson Scully. After verifying that Smith despite his well-formed beard and Nirvana t-shirt is indeed also a freshman, we discussed how he originally had not intended to be a show host, but Robertson managed to coerce him into doing it.

“We needed a way to waste a Wednesday night,” comments Robertson.

Though Smith chuckled at Robertson’s remark, when later asked about how it makes him feel to have his own show, he took a more somber tone.

“I think it’s pretty cool because most people our age can’t say that when they went to college they got to pursue radio and being able to share their music and what they’re interested in with other people that way.”

WoCo Radio is one of the newest clubs on campus. The brainchild of Caroline Winn and Lindsay Uhlinger, the station entered into existence last year. Since then, it has grown and now offers a variety of shows that cover anything from music to politics.

“It’s weird though,” says Deleon, whose show offers 90s throwback music and a heathy dose of banter between him and his cohost, Rivera. “I kind of like the idea that there would be people who would listen to me and be able to have something to enjoy”

Ultimately, that is what WoCo Radio is about: giving students a platform to put out their ideas and thoughts. They never know who, be it faculty or classmates, might be listening.

“It’s cool to see freshmen start because it means that all four years we could do it, then you basically start a movement with the freshmen and push forward that way,” stated Scully as he described the significance the WoCo Radio freshman class.

He continued saying, “If we get good now, it’s three years of great radio rather than three years of awful radio.”

$0
$500