Campus Union calls for comments, suggestions and concerns

Campus Union has released a campus improvement form, what at-large delegate Patrick Longest, ’17, calls a “wonderful new option for improving Wofford’s campus.” Photo by Mark Olencki.

By: Sarah Madden, Senior Writer

Campus Union representatives have recently released a new form of communication between students and the college: an on-line suggestion, comment and concern form that can be filled out and submitted to address issues of campus safety, food services, parking, academics and other categories.

The Google document was released via class Facebook pages on Oct. 5, and Lillian Fant, ’17, junior class delegate, says that it has already made a significant impact on campus.

“People have used the form, and it has prompted the administration to seriously think about the chain of command and how requests should be efficiently processed.”

Campus Union President Billy Moody says that thus far, 44 suggestions and complaints have been submitted in various categories, and some changes have already been made. Other changes are in the process of being implemented. Most comments were food or campus building related, though Moody says that some have been “metaphysically enlightening” and addressed discrepancies in attitudes rather than a specific issue.

Students who submit the form have the option to fill out a date and time, if applicable, as well as offer possible solutions and preventions for the problem(s) discussed. Students can also opt to receive a response by providing Campus Union with an e-mail address.

Moody says that the form will help address many issues that are currently left unsolved because of unclear responsibilities (whose job it is to solve different types of problems), an unclear chain of command and an unclear method of reporting problems.

“We all know Wofford has much room for improvement, and rather than sitting idly by while students complained about various problems or omissions at Wofford, Campus Union and Professor John Fort’s Due Process class decided to harness what could be negativity into a force for positive change at Wofford.”

According to Moody, Campus Union, President Samhat and the marketing department are currently working to develop an administrative organization chart to delineate the chain of command as well as a “Whom to Contact” page to clearly divide various Wofford community responsibilities.

“In the future, we hope to have a link to this form on the myWofford site where it can be easily accessed. Additionally, we hope to produce a weekly or biweekly report of the general complaints and suggestions that are submitted to allow the campus community to know what other students are saying.”

Fant says that until the improvement form has a permanent link on the myWofford website, it is best to save the link or search for the original post on Facebook. The form can be found here: https://docs.google.com/a/email.wofford.edu/forms/d/1gQOEMKOw5snbHsPfuVJ7j4oOwCj7iE6kXrjSZqFdqYg/viewform?c=0&w=1

“Comments by Category”

Academic 4 8.3%
Campus Buildings 12 25%
Campus Grounds 3 6.3%
Campus Safety 6 12.5%
Food Services 10 20.8%
Judicial System/ Honor Code 2 4.2%
Parking 2 4.2%
Residence Halls 3 6.3%
Social Activities 1 2.1%
Other 5 10.4%

Less than three weeks after its release, the improvement form had received 44 responses, and most seem to be concerning food services and campus buildings, though each category has been addressed.

$0
$500