Campus Union Report: A Room of New Faces

By: Omar K. Elmore and Brie White

This year, Old Gold and Black has partnered with Campus Union to provide insight into each of Campus Union’s weekly meetings.

Campus Union meets every Monday of the school year at 6PM, and has done so for over thirty years. Each and every meeting is conducted following parliamentary procedure and Robert’s Rules of Order. Delegates wear business attire. Any student is welcome to attend the meetings, held in Olin 101, at any time and for any reason, even if the reason is mere curiosity.

The cabinet, composed of President Chris Paschal, Vice President Chie Mushayamunda, Treasurer Drake McCormick and Secretary Brendan Paschal, leads the group comprised of delegates from each class, freshman through senior, and six at large delegates who represent the entirety of the student body. The assembly is broken down into six subcommittees in order to effectively address areas of need

On Sept. 12, there were a number of freshmen in attendance; most of those freshmen had submitted a petition to run for delegate of the Class of 2020. Secretary Paschal reminded the delegates in attendance that each of them are tasked to write two proposals during the year. President Paschal had already stated his vision for this year’s delegation: that he wants the assembly to focus on what he calls “big picture” problems.

Wofford Athletics and Recreation announced their plan to increase student attendance at athletic events, including the Wofford Walk.

The budget for the semester was passed unanimously along with the Allocations of Funds to Student Organizations for Fall 2016. The biggest change in the budget since last semester is the inclusion of a Student Activities Fund. This fund allows any organization or student to apply for up to $500 to spend on an event or program without having to go through the proposal process through the Assembly.

Sophomore Delegate Will Randall resolved to honor Officer Holloman, the Campus Safety officer that passed away over the summer. Several Campus Union officers were in attendance of the meeting and joined in the applause after Randall delivered a speech honoring Officer Holloman’s accomplishments and personality.

On Sept. 19, the Assembly was again surprised with the number of freshmen in attendance. President Paschal congratulated them for attending as he called the meeting to order.

Carter Rief, Sophomore Delegate and Historian, gave his report: Mike Ayers won his first game as Head Coach of Wofford football on September 17, 1988 and just won his 200th game on that same day in 2016.

Megan Kuhn announced that WAC had received 80 applications from freshmen to join the committee while only 15 would be accepted.

Dean Bigger gave her weekly report. She thanked the Assembly for their participation in the interest fair and discussed ways the Wofford Walk could be utilized in later years.

On Wednesday, Sept. 21, Wofford’s Class of 2020 voted in their Campus Union delegates. Zainab Bhagat, Bali Channa, Alec Konrad, Luke Lovell, Fredy Madrid and Curneisha Williams emerged as the freshman representatives from a pool of 24 candidates. The Assembly is excited to welcome the newly elected officials into the assembly as they work to improve the overall Wofford experience.

$0
$500