Wofford College – the newest grasshole in town

DISCLAIMER: Article part of Old Black & Blue

By: John Cleaneater

In an effort to better align with the dietary needs of its students, Wofford College has just approved the addition of a grass bar in Burwell for the upcoming 2017-2018 school year.

For the past few years, the school has been trying to adjust to the spike in vegetarians on campus. Two of the largest changes they have made as far as vegetarian dishes include a salad bar filled with crunchy cheese and moist tofu and a pizza station where vegetarians can pick off the pepperoni they don’t want to eat.

The outcries of rambunctious herbivores have finally reached the ears of Dean Smaller, who reassures the Wofford community that the needs of students will always be regarded with the upmost urgency. She discussed the issue with Campus Union a few years ago and they quickly voted to improve our dining options last week.

“I have a feeling Wofford students are going to be incredibly impressed with the new changes we are making,” Dean Smaller insisted in the Campus Union meeting last week. “Not only will Burwell be receiving a major upgrade, but we are also going to be providing new vegetarian sides available for purchase with extra terrier bucks in Zach’s Food Court.”

In order to ensure tuition does not increase for unnecessary reasons, Wofford College will now be offering a grass station in Burwell where students can expect to find new and delicious food straight off of the ground of Wofford’s campus! The station will not only include the grass clippings from the hourly lawn mowing, but the groundskeepers assure us they will also be collecting weeds that have grown through the pavement and stealing the food squirrels have stored in trees to add to the new station.

The biggest treat will come in the fall when Burwell will be serving seasonal leaves that have fallen from the trees. In the spring, the groundskeepers will make special efforts to cut flowers to serve as dessert for students. These flowers will also be served in Zach’s Food Court for $3.75 so that vegetarians will have options and all students in general can have a treat to go with their Chick-fil-A, grilled burgers and new bologna sandwiches.

When asked what prompted such immediate action to take place, Dean Smaller explained that for Lent she decided to give up meat, which she knows is common amongst religious students during this time. She noticed how difficult it was to find options. “I realized how important it was for Wofford to remain true to its religious values and provide grass options for students who are giving up meat for Lent,” she explains. “When I realized how little the grass bar would cost Wofford, I figured we could accommodate the growing population of vegetarian students as well.”

Wofford students are very excited for the new grass station at Burwell – this change in dining options seems to be the first step toward hope for the future.

$0
$500