Finding the Space on Campus

Learn about Terrier Black Book and other resources offered by the Space

If you’ve never heard of Terrier Black Book, you’re probably not alone. Launched through The Space in the Mungo Center in 2016, Terrier Black Book is a useful, yet underused tool for students seeking out an internship, job or assistance with career development.

When a potential employer first reaches out to the Space with an internship or job opportunity, a thorough screening process begins. Each listing is run through staff in the Space to ensure that it is a legitimate opportunity for students. Once posted, students can sign into their Terrier Black Book account in order to explore the current openings available on and off campus. These listings are only available to students with an active account and an approved resume.

The resume requirement, which forces students to have their resumes approved before they can apply for any jobs or internships through Terrier Black Book, is a recent change. Tasha Smith-Tyus, Director of Career Services, values this new requirement as an opportunity for students to present their best selves to future employers. “Before you actually put yourself out there to be marketed to an employer…you want to make sure that you’re marketing yourself in the best light that you possibly can.”

She explains that if a resume is rejected, the Space will send an email to let the student know why. She says, “we also encourage them to come in and meet with us…so that we can discuss their resume in person…also, we can include the [resume template] link too.” The Space provides a resume template for students to use, but in this case, the staff is also using industry-specific judgment to advise students, so that the resume matches each student’s needs.

Terrier Black Book offers certain resources to underclassmen as well. Smith-Tyus explains that there is “a built-in assessment that [students] can take…that can really help them to explore their interests.” Students can then follow-up with faculty in the Space to better understand the results and how they apply to the majors and programs available at Wofford.

Beyond Terrier Black Book, the Space continues to expand other resources for students, with a specific focus on making these resources more accessible. For instance, Smith-Tyus talks about their hopes to hire peer advisors: “we’re going to train those peer advisors so that [they] can do things, such as look at resumes.” This is meant to enhance the experience for students, so they are receiving personal advising from their own peers. She also mentions the ‘How To’ series that is coming up this fall semester, in which the Space will host several discussions to help students with preparations for the future, ranging from writing a statement of purpose for graduate school, to marketing a resume to employers. These events will occur in the evenings and will include refreshments.

The Space is constantly looking for feedback from students in order to expand their reach and better serve the Wofford community. If you have any suggestions for the future or if you’d like to understand more of what the Space offers, schedule an appointment online or attend one of the many events offered on campus.

Photo Caption: The Space worked with Wofford’s Pre-Med Program to organize mock interviews between students and alumni.

$0
$500