The Space Presents Global Entrepreneurship Week

On nights I stayed up past my bedtime, I sometimes crept down the stairs, beyond my parent’s bedroom where Dad snored on his back. I navigated around the ottoman in the living room, which left toes stubbed and bloodied. After fumbling around in the dark for the remote, I flipped on the television. The bright light of the screen dilated my pupils wide.

Late into the night I sat on the couch as George Foreman tried to sell me his tiny, portable grills. There was the ShamWow!guy with his spiked hair. Billy Mays sold me Oxyclean. Adhesives, caulks, retractable awnings, garage doors. Growing up, I was taught to distrust the overzealous infomercial salesman. And, for a long time, that’s how I thought about entrepreneurs—that they were just after a quick buck with the next big invention.

As it turns out, entrepreneurs are more than late-night infomercial salesmen. They are women fighting for social and racial equality in the work place. They create new worlds through virtual reality that connect users across the globe via games and exploration. Entrepreneurs are fighters—people who are dedicated to transforming dreams into realities. An entrepreneur is an individual who moves beyond ideation, overcomes obstacles and gets things done.

Jonathan Ortmons founded Global Entrepreneurship Week in 2008 with a vision to connect startups across national borders. Ortmons’s message is simple: “The field of entrepreneurship is no longer something of narrow commercial significance. It’s something that represents the possibility of human endeavor for the benefit of all.” In a turbulent, globally connected society, the world needs problem solvers, creators and risk-takers.

Ortmons often lectures on the philanthropic benefits of startups. “There’s a way that now we think entrepreneurs might be the force of change in their countries for things beyond just economic change––that they can actually make the world a better place.”

Let’s say you have an idea. Maybe you want to give back to underprivileged communities, or fight for human rights. From powerful stories of female entrepreneurs working toward social equality, to opportunities to network with investors––The Space presents Global Entrepreneurship Week Nov. 12-16. Learn something new. Maybe even strap on a pair of VR goggles. Be a part of a global movement celebrated in over 170 countries.

Global Entrepreneurship Week Schedule:

Monday, Nov. 12

Startup Expo and Kick-Off Party

RJ Rockers

5:30 – 7:30pm

Tuesday, Nov. 13 (Article posted on this day)

Powered by Women

McMillan Theater

5:30-6:30pm

Wednesday, Nov. 14

Angel Investing 101 & Cocktail Hour

The Space at the Mungo Center

5:30 – 7:30pm

Thursday, Nov. 15

Better than Unicorns

The Space at the Mungo Center

Drop-in from 11:00am – 1:00pm

Written by Grant McClure

$0
$500