Freezing together

Freezing+together

Students pull an all-nighter for a chance at tickets to Wofford UNC game

Students described their night on Saturday, Nov. 3 as “cold,” “freezing” and, again, “pretty cold,” but still they came. The front of the Jerry Richardson stadium was surrounded by tents as students came out in massive to spend the night waiting for tickets to the UNC Wofford game. Some students even brought a fire pit and started a fire.   

Terriers themselves were surprised by the turn out. “I was just expecting maybe a few tents out here,” John Beard, freshman, said. “But when I arrived I was just bewildered by the excitement of this event.” 

Fredy Madrid, junior and Campus Union President, helped set up the event. “I came around eight, I was the first one to come and I was hoping more people would come,” Madrid said. “I started texting everyone and people just came. I was expecting this community where people gather around and just speak and are able to connect in a real fellowship.” 

Some thought it was a testament to how strong and close Wofford is. “We’re community,” John Jeffery, freshman, said. “No matter if it’s 45° weather or 100° weather, we will be here to support our team and our school.” 

Even people who never planned to stand in line for tickets still found their way there. “I wasn’t planning on coming out here tonight,” Lydia Mead, sophomore, said. “But, a friend convinced me to come out. So we’re doing this, we’re pulling an all-nighter and just enjoying time together as a community.”  

Some students, who had already secured tickets through the Wofford rewards app, which rewards students based on the number of sporting events they attend, showed up to support their peers waiting in line. Meghan Fleming ’22 had seventeen check-ins which earned her a ticket to the game. She said of the app, “I think a lot of people have it but just forget to use it.”  

Students were optimistic about the upcoming game. “I think it smells like victory.” Madrid said. “The Tar Heels are being beaten and it smells like the Wofford way.” “We’re all amped,” Mead said, “we’re just ready to watch the Wofford basketball team kick Carolina’s ass.” 

Even though Wofford didn’t beat UNC, the impromptu campsite was still a great example of Wofford students coming together. “I’m here because I love the community,” Madrid said. “I love the Wofford family and that they gathered together for something and are able to stand through this weather for something they’re very passionate about.”

Written by Robert Brook

$0
$500