Church & Creed – 4

Religious climate on campus during the holiday season 

For many, November and December indicate “the holiday season.”  However, on a campus in which a variety of religions are represented, that which constitutes “the holiday season” varies from person to person.  

Finance professor Andrew Green, who serves as the faculty advisor for Wofford’s Hillel group, provided insight into what this time of the year means for Jews and common misconceptions related to Jewish traditions in December, along with how Wofford incorporates the Jewish tradition into its recognition of the holiday season. 

According to Torah.org, Hanukkah is a celebration which “marks the miraculous victory of the Jews, led by the Maccabees, against Greek persecution and religious oppression. In addition to being victorious in war, another miracle occurred: When the Maccabees came to rededicate the Temple, they found only one flask of oil with which to light the Menorah. This small flask lasted for eight days.” In remembrance of the eight days of light that the small amount of oil provided, Jews light a candle on the menorah for each of the eight days of Hanukkah, Green explained.  

This year, Hanukkah begins at sundown on Dec. 2; Jewish holidays always begin at sundown and move around dates every year according to the Jewish calendar, based on the moon, Green said. Wofford will light a menorah, donated by a Wofford alumni outside of Old Main at the Candlelight Carols event on Thursday, Nov. 29.  

However, Green explained, Hanukkah is a minor Jewish holiday, unlike Christmas, its Christian equivalent: “To Christians, because it happens around Christmas, they think it’s a biggie,” he said. He added that, in Jewish families, it has become “common to give your children a present on every day of Hanukkah,” which is “a reaction in more modern times to [Jewish children saying] ‘all the other kids [are] getting Christmas presents, what about us?’” Intermarriage between Jews and non-Jews has also affected how Hanukkah and Christmas are celebrated in relationship with one another. 

Dr. Karen Goodchild, Associate Professor and Chair of the Art and Art History department, spoke of her family’s experience with religious intermarriage. “I am Christian (Methodist) by upbringing and Dr. [Stephen] Michelman [Professor and Chair of the Philosophy department] is Jewish. Neither of us comes from a very religious family. We wanted our kids to experience aspects of each faith’s cultural approach to winter holidays. Christmas is everywhere in our culture, and in our kids’ schools, while Hanukkah can be more elusive. When our kids were little, we took dreidels and chocolate gelt to their classes and taught the kids there about the story behind Hanukkah and some of the fun aspects of the holiday.”  

Goodchild added of her experience with religion represented on campus: “Our kids have grown up coming to see Santa at Wofford and have seen the menorah here too in more recent years.” She also mentioned she and Michelman attended the candlelight vigil for the recent shooting at the Pittsburgh synagogue. “We were glad Wofford recognized it,” she said. 

Dr. Jameica Hill, Professor and Chemistry Department Chair, is Methodist and said of her religion’s practices during this time, “[We are] entering the time of year where we will celebrate Thanksgiving and Christmas. We will also enter the season of Advent in a couple of weeks, where we anticipate…the celebration of the Nativity of Jesus at Christmas (the birth of Jesus). Each Sunday at church, we will light one of the four Advent candles representing the four weeks of Advent.” Similar to how Jews light the menorah, many Catholic and Protestant Christians light the Advent wreath, which consists of four purple candles around the diameter of the wreath to represent the four weeks of advent, and one white candle (the Christ candle) in the middle that is lit on either Christmas Eve or day. 

Though not a religious holiday, Hill incorporates Thanksgiving into her holiday celebrations as a way of preparing for the religious holiday. She said, “Most get most excited about the Christmas celebration, as well we should, I personally prefer the celebration of Thanksgiving more. During the time of Thanksgiving, I recognize all that should be celebrated during Advent and Christmas. I feel that commercialism overshadows those ideals during the period when they are to be celebrated.” 

Hill said that though she feels her beliefs are well-represented on campus, as Wofford is affiliated with the Methodist Church, she also said, “I am proud that the [United Methodist Church] is open and accepting of others and assist, as needed, in promoting an ecumenical atmosphere where all religions can practice their faith and espouse their beliefs.” 

Caption: From left, Walker Gibbs, Joe Harbacevich and Ben Boatwright stand in front of the menorah at the 2017 Candlelight service. 

$0
$500