Downtown Spartanburg gets festive for the holiday season

SKATING ON THE SQUARE AND DICKENS OF A CHRISTMAS ARE BACK IN SPARTANBURG—

This evening, Tuesday, Dec. 2, a community tradition that signals the start of the Christmas season—the annual Dickens of a Christmas—is scheduled to be held from 6 – 9 p.m. in Morgan Square in downtown Spartanburg. All activities, most of which are free, are centered along Main Street. Roasted chestnuts and holiday treats will be available for purchase, as well as a Christmas market for downtown holiday shopping. Strolling carolers and live performances will be featured.

The event will include tree lighting at 7:30 p.m. in the Denny’s Plaza, Victorian photos, living window displays, a live nativity scene, horse drawn carriage rides around Richardson Park and ice skating. Spartanburg’s annual Skating on the Square opened on Nov. 21 on Morgan Square in Downtown Spartanburg, and will remain open through Jan. 11, 2015. Skating on the Square has been popular since it first opened two years ago, seeing over 25,000 ice-skaters in its first two seasons.

It is an important component for the Dickens of a Christmas event. The cost for skaters is $10 per person, which includes the price for renting the skates. Admission to skate lasts all day long—skaters leave and return later to skate again after getting their hand stamped. Senior Anna Henson says, “It’s a great escape from the Wofford bubble to get into the Christmas spirit!”

Skating on the Square offers “2-fer-Tuesdays” where any two people can skate for the price of one. Other ways to save include making reservations for a big group or buying a season pass. They also plan to have student and college nights throughout the season, and they offer fundraising opportunities to interested parties. For every skater who comes out in support of the fundraising organization, the organization will earn 50 percent of the ticket price ($5 per skater). Visit skatingonthesquare.com for more information.

Additionally, every Saturday morning before the rink opens for public skating from 9 – 10 a.m. Skating on the Square offers ice hockey lessons to all ages. They provide the equipment, and there is no sign-up required. The cost is $2 per lesson.

COSdickens_SSP

$0
$500