Hank Davis reflects on his year as Campus Union president

Hank Davis has enjoyed his lengthened term as Campus Union President.
When Hank Davis took office in March of 2014 he knew that he had a special opportunity as Campus Union president. The assembly recently decided to move the election from March to May – meaning that Davis would be president for 14 months. Davis says that the schedule change created an interesting situation for his term.
“It’s been a blessing and a curse. The job has been fun, and I have enjoyed getting to be a part of the process and be in the know of what’s going on at Wofford.”

Davis has had to adjust to some of the difficulties of the long term though.

“The longer that you are in this job the easier it gets to become apathetic about the process. I came in thinking I was going to change a lot of things on this campus, but there are a lot of political realities you run into.”

The challenges that Davis is talking about stem from the complicated process of solving campus problems.

“It is frustrating to say the least. You run into so much red tape with college policies and attorneys and it really slows the process down,” Davis says.

Davis works hard to combat the apathy that grows from the challenges.

“You have to stay positive. I try to find things that I know we can do, even small incremental changes that make student life better.”

Davis has plans for several more small changes before the end of his term.

“We are working on adding fire pits to The Village and getting lights for the beach volleyball area, things like that.”

Davis also says Campus Union is working with other groups to fund a speaker system for the renovation of The Galleria in the Michael S. Brown Village center.

Davis has a few months left in his term and has some goals.

“We have some great ideas; we just need some support from offices on campus like Development, and that’s a beast in itself.”

Beyond the changes to The Village, Davis says his last few months will be devoted to changes in food services and a redesign of the game room in the Campus Life building.

“The biggest thing is that we are forming an ad hoc committee to review the judicial process at Wofford. It has been unpopular with the judicial committee because they think Campus Union is trying to start a power grab, but that is the furthest thing from the truth.”

Davis says that the committee will try to ensure that students are receiving fair treatment.

“There is a feeling on campus that if you get in trouble you are ‘guilty until proven innocent’ and that is really messed up. That should never be the case.”

Davis is hoping that Campus Union’s committee can improve the system for students.

Despite his issues with the bureaucracy that sometimes slows down action in Campus Union, Davis is confident about the body’s future.

“The future of Campus Union is bright. It is one of the longest lasting and healthiest organizations at Wofford. It is still the best way to get plugged into being an active participant in student life at Wofford.”

Davis’ biggest worry about the future of the body is apathetic representatives.

“People get elected just to pad their resume and they don’t participate in meetings. I wish that I could kick those people out.”

Davis is confident that there are plenty of good options for candidates to succeed him as president.

“We have a great adviser in Dean of Students Roberta Bigger. We have a big budget. I wish we could simplify the process for the future.”

Campus Union elections will take place in early April, and Davis will turn the gavel over later that month.

“It has meant the world to me. Besides my fraternity, it is the best thing that I have been involved in at Wofford,” Davis says.

Davis will look back proudly on his year as president and says that he doesn’t regret his often blunt opposition to some college decisions.

“I’ve always wanted to be honest and truthful and speak my mind. I speak bluntly and plainly because I don’t want what I say to be misconstrued.”

Davis thinks his frankness has helped him along the way.

“If you don’t say what you mean, how are you ever going to inspire change? It may have hurt me sometimes, but I wouldn’t change a thing.”

$0
$500