Over Already?

Photo courtesy of Mark Olencki

Freshmen reflect on their first year at Wofford

As freshman year comes to an end for the class of 2023, we look back on our unconventional first year with mixed emotions. For me, it was an exciting year full of challenges. Through the first semester, I took a long time adjusting to college life and classes, and, once the second semester arrived—which would hopefully make things easier—the school year was taken away from campus and put on Zoom. However, COVID-19 aside, the year was an incredible, brand-new experience, and a refreshing change from high school.

I entered school worried that I’d struggle to find friends due to my introverted personality. Now, I can look at the various group chats in my phone and see that I’ve done better than I thought I would, and I know many freshmen can say the same about their year.

“This past year, I was able to come out of my shell and meet a lot of really great people. I have loved my first year at Wofford, shortened as it was. I cannot wait to be back on campus!” said Lia Kurkimilis. Her statement likely reflects the mindset of many freshmen at Wofford, looking at the positives in spite of the early closure. 

To add to the positivity, Dylan Carter stated, “I’m really happy I chose Wofford, and although I wasn’t sure of exactly what I wanted to do at first, they’ve been super accommodating and my advisor has been great. Overall, I’m 100% satisfied with what this school has given me and I can’t wait to come back next year.”

Looking back, it can be funny to recall the times I was worried during orientation week that I’d struggle to make friends and do well in my classes. Though it’s a natural worry for any entering freshman to have, it’s nice to look back and see how quickly that fear disappeared as I was brought into a welcoming environment. I recall worrying about balancing each aspect of my life and frequently visiting home to get away from the stress in the beginning, but it wasn’t long before I embraced the Wofford community and realized that they’ll be there for me—even when I don’t feel totally there for me.

It’s sad to say this early, but I miss the class of 2023, and I’ll see you all in autumn. Until then, I wish you all good mental health and a fantastic summer!

$0
$500