Thinkers and Doers

Wofford to Host TEDx Event at Wofford

About a year ago, I met with a group of fellow students to discuss hosting a TEDx event at Wofford College for the first time in the college’s history. In truth, beginning the process felt like starting your first job – none of us had any clue of what we were doing. Despite the uncertainty of “how” we would bring TEDx to Wofford, however, we were confident of “why” it was necessary. I am happy to report that TEDxWoffordCollege will host its first event on October 25, with a meet and greet beginning at 6:00 p.m.

TED is an organization that brings together the world’s leading thinkers and doers for an annual conference to share ideas that matter. While TED stands for Technology, Engineering and Design, the organization has evolved to advocate for ideas of every kind. Through TEDx, individual communities like ours at Wofford College can self-organize local events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. Communities and colleges across the country regularly host TEDx events that showcase their talent and ideas. Our speakers are members of Wofford’s student, faculty and alumni communities – together they will celebrate the unique ways that we, at Wofford, are changing our world.

TEDxWoffordCollege presenters will focus on issues like class, race and mental health – matters that uniquely touch us all. In choosing an event theme, our team noted how often our perception of such issues can differ from their reality. The theme, Bridging the Gap, seeks to close divergences between our perceptions of other people, ideas and experiences versus how they truly are. By challenging our awareness through thought-provoking individual expression and storytelling, we hope to place a foothold in the critical importance of free and unrestrained discourse at Wofford.

The most valuable lessons I’ve learned during my years at Wofford have not come from lectures, books or research, but from you – the members of the Wofford community. In order to maximize the Wofford experience, we all must actively engage those who look and think differently from ourselves. The ultimate success of TEDxWoffordCollege will be measured by whether it stimulates a spirit of curiosity, open-mindedness and inclusion on campus that every student can experience. Our hope is that TEDx becomes a local forum for ideas that challenge the Wofford community members to think critically about their lives, their futures and ultimately, their world.

Our team consists of over 25 ambitious students with a range of ages, majors and backgrounds, as well as a faculty collaborator, Dr. Dawn McQuiston, and a staff advisor, DeMario Watts. Wofford’s administration has also provided endless support for this event. The tireless work and collaboration of everyone involved over the past year indicates that cultivating and achieving this shared experience at Wofford is an important goal for us all. While the October 25 talk for TEDxWoffordCollege has already sold out, videos will be broadcasted live and posted online after all initial talks for Wofford students and the general public to view. Stay tuned to our Facebook page and the daily announcements for information regarding subsequent talks and for more information on TEDxWoffordCollege.

Photo Caption: TED is a global organization dedicated to bringing a voice to ideas that matter.

Written by Chandler Compton

$0
$500