Meet Hector Ortiz

Photo courtesy of Wofford Newsroom Hector Ortiz is Wofford’s latest presidential scholar. The biology, philosophy and Spanish triple major is currently studying about in South America.

Wofford’s 38th presidential scholar

The presidential scholarship is a scholarship given by the president of Wofford College to a student with exceptional passion for service and international learning, or “the student most likely to make a difference in the future.” 

This scholarship was most recently given to Hector Ortiz ’22 from Saluda, South Carolina.

Ortiz, a triple major in biology, philosophy and Spanish, is a first-generation college student. He belongs to the Gateway and Bonner Scholars programs and is also treasurer for both the Organization of Latin American Students and the Wofford Asian and Pacific Islander Organization.

In addition, he is the event coordinator for the Wofford Anti-Racism Coalition, as well as a member of both Pi Kappa Phi and Alpha Phi Omega.

“I think this scholarship gives you the opportunity to step out of your intersectional comfort zone,” said Ortiz. “In a way, you are expected to immerse yourself in a new culture, ideology, geography and political context.”

Ortiz is currently studying abroad in Ecuador, spending some of his time in the Amazon. According to Ortiz, travel to Ecuador has given him a new perspective on Andean culture. 

“This change in environment gives you a new perspective in life and in your topic of interest, mine being health and culture,” said Ortiz. “This bigger perspective gives you an idea about how to help your fellow community. 

Ortiz said that his goal while studying abroad is to understand a biological concept with a different cultural lens.

With three different majors and many different organizational affiliations, one might wonder what Ortiz plans to do after graduation in 2022. Ortiz has these same curious thoughts, as he said that he is still debating what his post-graduation plans will be. 

“I have two broad options in mind – overall, I want to help public health develop,” said Ortiz. “Currently I am weighing on helping develop health public policy or carry out scientific research in the area.”

He is currently studying public health, traditional medicine and community empowerment, as well as researching the epidemiological transition by looking at Type 2 diabetes and an infectious disease in Ecuador. He will also be studying in Argentina, and his research will focus specifically on how Argentina and South America manage tuberculosis and Type 2 diabetes.

“A better understanding of this relationship between public health and culture is vital to improving health outcomes of patients in all societies and will play a critical role in addressing inequities in healthcare that have become all too clear during the COVID-19 pandemic,” said Ortiz.

Not only was the pandemic telling of healthcare iniquities, but it impacted travel and study abroad for Ortiz and others.

“It definitely takes a lot of organization, planning and flexibility to travel during a pandemic,” said Ortiz. “I have increased hopes of success because of the development of vaccines against COVID-19. Vaccine rollout in Argentina is different than in the U.S., so there is lots to take into consideration.”

Ortiz also comments on the gratitude he holds for the opportunities and experiences he has found at Wofford.

“I have met great people and challenges that have helped me grow into the person I am today,” Ortiz said. “While the path hasn’t been easy, I have managed to help in addressing a more equitable and diverse Wofford.”

“I am thankful for the staff and faculty that have supported me in getting to this point. Without them, I would have been in a different position,” Ortiz said.

$0
$500