Nicely Dressed Code: Beau and Chase Christ create software company for app development

Photo by Annalee Hoffman. Beau Christ works at his desk alongside a Nicely Dressed Code logo mug.

Ever wondered what it’s like to create an app? Some of the Wofford faculty have figured it out.

Beau Christ, assistant professor of computer science, created a software company with his brother Chase, called Nicely Dressed Code LLC, designed for easy creation and distribution of Apple apps online.

“The name is a tribute to my childhood dream of someday starting my own band called ‘The Nicely Dressed Henchmen,’” said Beau Christ. “I don’t know why I came up with that name as a kid, but it has always stuck with me to this day.”

Beau and Chase Christ, who are CEO and COO of the company, respectively, have been using the Swift programming language and distributing on the Apple App Store. The company has its website at www.nicelydressedcode.com, which Beau Christ created using experience from teaching a web authoring course at Wofford.

So far, the three apps available on the website are PoppinDot, a game that tests reflex speed, WaterCal, an app that tracks water/caloric intake and Yakkity, an app that helps the user start a conversation with someone. 

Beau Christ designed the website’s logo using coding symbols to resemble a man in a bowtie.

Beau Christ originally got into programming when his uncle was employed by IBM, a computer software company, and would talk to him about it. He started coding before high school using languages like BASIC and Java.

“Creating an app can be a very rewarding yet intensive experience,” said Beau Christ. “We start by discussing ideas of things that are of interest to us, and then choose one we think we want to pursue. Once we’ve decided on one, we move on to jotting down features we would like to see and start to design the interface and underlying model.”

Once the design is finalized, Beau Christ spends several weeks writing code until testing on the app begins. He then involves some friends in beta testing until the final version is released.

Beau Christ started the company not only because it’s long been a dream of his but also because he wanted to be a useful resource for students seeking to learn how to start a company, create an app, apply for an LLC, learn the Swift programming language and/or build complete software solutions.

“I think it would also be fun to teach an ‘Introduction to Apps using Swift’ course at Wofford, perhaps this summer!” said Beau Christ.

To students seeking to create apps of their own, Beau Christ advised to start small, with ideas such as building an app that can just show your name or change the color of text.

He then suggested learning something new every day to add to your toolbox, as well as finding others that are wanting to get into app creation as well. Most importantly, don’t give up when things get difficult. He also suggested beginning on the “Hacking With Swift” website to learn the basics.

“To quote Paul Hudson, the creator of Hacking With Swift,” said Beau Christ, “‘Programming is an art. Don’t spend all your time sharpening your pencil when you should be drawing.’”

$0
$500